Sunday, October 26, 2014

Diving In at the Deep End...



I am publishing this blog after months of tweaking, formatting, fretting and second guessing. Hand wringing is a specialty. I have worked for many years as an artist - painting, drawing and constructing pieces that have been a source of enormous pleasure, and not a little frustration.

I am providing a record of what I have produced and I am exploring the various twists and turns of my own creative process, as well as sharing the work of others that I find of particular interest.


SunDress 


Above is a piece I finished over the summer... mixed media built around a trace monoprint that I had nearly abandoned. I collaged the piece with an image from a book of housing plans circa 1960 that I found at Goodwill...Second Hand stores have an appeal for me like Ali Baba's cave... I used a ten by ten inch piece of cradled birch for a support.

I painted over all with acrylic, adding bits of the Cosmos, details on the dress and an expansion of the illustration...extra trees and shrubbery, imitating the style. I tricked out the frame with painted wooden blocks. The Roman Numeral "8" references the Strength card in the Rider Waite Tarot Deck. I've also read that the Number 8 can be symbolic of having finally made a decision...I find that to be particularly apt under the circumstances.  Often, I'll find some small bit of synchronicity that fleshes out the meaning of a piece and those random links are wonderful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment