Friday, March 27, 2015

Fuji Friday...A Warm and Fuzzy Fuji (after Dürer)

I was born on Easter Sunday, I was also born in The Year of the Rabbit. I like bunnies, they are soft and spunky and many years ago, somewhere in Germany, they evidently began laying Easter Eggs. This was convenient because after four weeks of Lenten fasting people got hungry.

I was raised as a Roman Catholic, or a "Mackerel Snapper " as in..."Dorette, are you a Mackerel Snapper"? ... this asked of me shortly after meeting Gil Price, a very wise man and avowed atheist, who thought something I said was a dead giveaway. "Mackerel Snapper" is also known as a "sectarian slur"... I didn't take much offense, having long before arrived at the conclusion that much of what I had been taught in Catechism Class was considerably suspect.  Still, it is possible to take the girl out of the Church, but leave a lot of the Church in the girl.

When I was a kid it was a Mortal Sin to eat meat on Friday...so we ate fish on Fridays right up until Vatican II...one day you're going straight to hell, and the next day... maybe not. Today, while I do believe in God, I believe that whatever God is, it is something warmer, friendlier, fuzzier...and reasonable.



A Warm and Fuzzy Fuji (after Dürer)  
8 x 10" Graphite Photo by Jay York

No comments:

Post a Comment