Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Grateful


As a child I would spend a lot of time drawing tulips and little girls in triangular dresses with circular sleeves. I made clothes for my paper dolls. I attended parochial schools through the 8th grade, studying under the Sisters of This or That, and was very fond of all of the trappings of the Catholic Church. The apple hasn't rolled too awful far from the tree. 

Below is a picture that I made for my Grandmother, Christine Frank. She immigrated to the United States as a girl from Germany after World War I... she was an entirely interesting and exotic presence, a woman of great charm and dignity. 

I was touched to find that the drawing was among her possessions when she died... far too young at 67. She and my wonderful Grandfather were my greatest cheerleaders and encouraged my beginning efforts. 

While I’m not sure of the year, I was probably seven or eight when I drew this picture… my religious fervor, now damped down and altered, was obviously still intact. My love and gratitude for my Grandparents has remained undiminished.

    










2 comments: