Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Maine Oracle

For lo these many years I have been fascinated by the insights that can be gleaned through the use of divination cards. There are many decks to choose from, and just as many schools of thought regarding the interpretation of the imagery used in the decks.

I have considered producing a deck of cards using my own work for quite a while. In January I began production on The Maine Oracle.

I live in Maine, and while many of my cards do reference my environment and the kinds of things that come to mind in general when thinking about Maine... Lobsters, Lighthouses and Pine Trees for example... my focus is on concepts and imagery useful to the overall philosophy of the deck.

Images are selected because they resonate with me as being descriptive of universal situations and considerations. I am not fitting the context around any preconceived notions of what might describe the Maine experience. I haven't designed a Blueberry Card for example, but there is a Lobster Card based on the Lobsters' behavior in captivity. When I found myself trying to force meaning on an image I had to move on.

The Maine Oracle is a divination system downloaded in the Great State of Maine.



Conscience

No comments:

Post a Comment